RESIDENTS of a village outside York were evacuated from their homes yesterday by police (May 13), following the discovery of a suspected Second World War bomb.
A safety cordon of a hundred metres was placed around an address in Flaxton’s main street, following the finding in an outbuilding undergoing renovation, reported to be close to the old school house.
North Yorkshire Police said the incident was reported to them just after 11am.
Roads were closed leading to the village and residents inside the cordon said police had knocked on doors asking occupants to vacate.
Eyewitnesses told The Press from outside the cordon that they had been advised to stay indoors.
One resident living five minutes away from the affected property, who did not want to be named, said her daughter had been worried about “getting blown up” but said she’d been able to reassure her that the right people there taking care of the situation.
YOU’LL FIND MORE ON THIS STORY AND OTHERS AT www.yorkpress.co.uk OR PICK UP YOUR COPY OF THE NEWSPAPER ITSELF AVAILABLE SIX DAYS A WEEK AT YOUR LOCAL NEWSAGENT

Amy Winehouse Band to Open at York Barbican for New Tour
Seutonius Book to be Auctioned Off With Duggleby Stephenson
MP Rachael Maskell Backs Campaign for Fairer Football League
Stillingfleet Beer and Music Festival Launches Ticket Sales
Jane Tomlinson Appeal Receives £4m Applications to Giveaway
Knaresborough Native Opens Art Gallery in North Yorkshire
Two Girls On The Shore Joins Beverley Art Gallery Collection
Hungry Minds- York Free Meals and Breakfast Trial's Future


