City of York Council said the latest Station Gateway work has “gone well” and the road reopened ahead of schedule last night (Monday, May 26).
Queen Street had been closed since Saturday evening so a new road surface could be laid over the temporary route – introduced last year to keep traffic moving while Queen Street Bridge was demolished.
On Monday evening, a council spokesperson said: “We are pleased that the works have gone well and the road has now reopened earlier than planned.
“We are grateful to everyone for their patience while we continue to transform the area in front of the station. Thank you.”
As The Press has reported, the Station Gateway project, expected to cost £25.7 million, will completely transform the area in front of York station.
It aims to provide a new transport interchange, public space and improved setting for the City Walls.
The scheme is being delivered by City of York Council, Network Rail, LNER and the West Yorkshire Combined Aut
YOU’LL FIND MORE ON THIS STORY AND OTHERS AT www.yorkpress.co.uk OR PICK UP YOUR COPY OF THE NEWSPAPER ITSELF AVAILABLE SIX DAYS A WEEK AT YOUR LOCAL NEWSAGENT

Amy Winehouse Band to Open at York Barbican for New Tour
Seutonius Book to be Auctioned Off With Duggleby Stephenson
MP Rachael Maskell Backs Campaign for Fairer Football League
Stillingfleet Beer and Music Festival Launches Ticket Sales
Jane Tomlinson Appeal Receives £4m Applications to Giveaway
Knaresborough Native Opens Art Gallery in North Yorkshire
Two Girls On The Shore Joins Beverley Art Gallery Collection
Hungry Minds- York Free Meals and Breakfast Trial's Future


