Brian Harold Martin, 57, told York Crown Court he had been unable to find work “because of the circumstances surrounding this case”.
He was convicted at York Magistrates' Court at trial a year ago of sending an offensive electronic communication and appealed the conviction to the higher court.
Kelly Clarke, for the CPS, told the court the email was sent addressed to Mr Southgate on June 4, 2022, at 9.38pm. Earlier that day, England had lost 1 – 0 to Hungary in Hungary in the Nations Cup.
YOU’LL FIND MORE ON THIS STORY AND OTHERS AT www.yorkpress.co.uk OR PICK UP YOUR COPY OF THE NEWSPAPER ITSELF AVAILABLE SIX DAYS A WEEK AT YOUR LOCAL NEWSAGENT

Amy Winehouse Band to Open at York Barbican for New Tour
Comedian Jon Richardson Helps Boost Shares for Fadmoor Pub
Levellers Announce New Show at York Barbican in October
York And Scarborough Teams Top STEM Racing Regional Finals
Seutonius Book to be Auctioned Off With Duggleby Stephenson
MP Rachael Maskell Backs Campaign for Fairer Football League
Stillingfleet Beer and Music Festival Launches Ticket Sales
Jane Tomlinson Appeal Receives £4m Applications to Giveaway


