York Junior Proms was due to be held in Museum Gardens with a special programme for children on Monday 28th July, a day after the popular picnic concert York Proms.
But organiser Rebecca Newman said spiralling costs and the economic uncertainty made the event too big a risk despite lots of work already done behind the scenes.
The York soprano star said it had been a difficult decision but was sensible - and meant ‘we live to fight another day’.
York Proms, which was a sell-out success last year, is still going ahead on Sunday 27th July, featuring a live orchestra, opera soloists and fireworks finale.
Rebecca said: “I have been trying to get this [Junior Proms] off the ground this year but there are so many moving parts. A few things were looking very promising but there’s too much risk. Everyone is feeling the cost-of-living crisis, and a lot of events are being cancelled. We have all been victim of spiralling costs.
YOU’LL FIND MORE ON THIS STORY AND OTHERS AT www.yorkpress.co.uk OR PICK UP YOUR COPY OF THE NEWSPAPER ITSELF AVAILABLE SIX DAYS A WEEK AT YOUR LOCAL NEWSAGENT

Amy Winehouse Band to Open at York Barbican for New Tour
Seutonius Book to be Auctioned Off With Duggleby Stephenson
MP Rachael Maskell Backs Campaign for Fairer Football League
Stillingfleet Beer and Music Festival Launches Ticket Sales
Jane Tomlinson Appeal Receives £4m Applications to Giveaway
Knaresborough Native Opens Art Gallery in North Yorkshire
Two Girls On The Shore Joins Beverley Art Gallery Collection
Hungry Minds- York Free Meals and Breakfast Trial's Future


